[GRASS-dev] MS-Windows native GRASS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sun Sep 17 18:24:40 EDT 2006

On Sun, September 17, 2006 22:19, Huidae Cho wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 10:13:21PM +0200, Moritz Lennert wrote:

>> > Once you choose a database location, the directory will show up by
>> > default.
>>
>> I was not speaking of the database location directory, but the working
>> directory that GRASS starts in. By default it goes to /home/username
>> within the msys tree. This means that any file output goes into this
>> directory by default. As people normally don't organise their files
>> within
>> the msys tree, it's just a bit annoying to always have to navigate to
>> your
>> habitual directories.
>>

> I see what you mean.  Maybe gis.m people are interested in this feature.
> Michael?

I'm not sure this is a gis.m issue. It is more related to the fact that in
a *nix environment you are likely to start your grass session in your home
directory, whereas in the MS Windows environment, you start it in msys and
msys puts you by default into a home/username directory which is created
automatically during installation and which has nothing to do with the
normal working directories of the user (which are much more arbitrary that
in the *nix environment). I don't know how easy this is, but in my eyes,
the best solution would be to include into the grass.bat a setting
defining the working directory and to include instructions to the use on
how to modify this to their liking.

Moritz