[GRASS-dev] QGIS Grass digit/v.digit and the category 0 and 1

Maciej Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Fri Sep 22 14:40:19 EDT 2006

Hi,

Crossposting as the issue is both QGIS and Grass related.

If I digitize a Grass vector in QGIS and add a feature using the 'next
not used' category mode, the first category used is '1'. But, if I
digitize a feature in 'no category' mode, add after that add a 'new'
category in the Grass 'attributes window', the category added is...
'0'. Why do this two situations differ? I suppose in both cases
category '0' should be picked as the first one? Or '1'? One thing is
sure cases the same should be used, but it's not.

Moreover if, I do the same in v.digit (digitize a feature in 'no
category' mode -> 'Display attributes' od that feature -> press 'Add
new') v.digit issues an error: "Layer and category must be greater than
zero" and I can't add a category to such a feature.

The behaviour is incosistent (either 0 or 1 should be always used as
the first category), leads to an error in v.digit, and it becomes
problematic in QGIS Grass digit when I eg. digitize 100 features, then
digitize one without category (eg. by mistake) and want to add a 'new'
category to it. To my surpsrise the category added is not '101' but
'0'. I would prefer categories were added in order.

Would it be possible to fix that? Shall I fill a bug report? As I don't
know if it's caused by some underlying Grass feauture or similar design
of both digitizing tools - is it a bug in Grass, QGIS or both?

Best,
Maciek