[GRASS-dev] Scale display in GRASS Monitor

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Sep 23 08:19:43 EDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > It's a lot more robust to just use a scale bar like d.barscale.
>
> Could the method of d.barscale somehow be used?

What method?

d.barscale just draws a bar with a given length in map coordinates. It
neither knows nor cares how large the bar will be (physically) on the
monitor.

d.barscale only needs to be able to transform map coordinates to
pixels, which we do whenever we draw a map. It's converting pixels to
physical dimensions which is problematic.