[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] RE: Problem querying layers other than '1' in gi s.m

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Sep 26 05:32:38 EDT 2006

Michael has already said most of what I wanted to say, but some small
additions.

Michael Barton wrote:
>> What seems much more natural to me is
>> leaving the attribute management to the database where more
>> elegant tools exist. Thus grass modules instead having a
>> layer option need a input key and possibly an output key
>> option depending on the module. If no key field is specified
>> (which would be an attribute in the table linked to the
>> vector file), then all objects in the vector file are
>> processed. However if a key is used to query the vector file
>> for a list of objects for processing. In the case where the
>> same vector object has two cats, the vector attribute tables
>> will have to have a one to many relationship from the vector
>> file to the attribute table. Now modules could also allow a
>> query specification to allow for complex querying across
>> multiple keys and attributes, but output would probably have
>> to be limited to a series of key fields (most likely only
>> integers)
>
> Really, this is exactly what "layers" are now. AFAICT, the biggest problem
> is in the terminology. Each "layer" is an integer key field in database
> terminology. Multiple layers simply means multiple key fields, each of which
> can be linked with an attribute table using v.db.connect.

What is missing as far as I can tell (but I don't know if Trevor's
solution would solve that) is that you cannot query across multiple
tables in the current system (i.e. you cannot query for those points in
a map which have value X in table Y where Y.key = maptable.key). You
have to first create a new table or view combining Y and maptable and
the link the map to that new table or view.

>> Now it could be argued that this is not essentially
>> different than the 'layer' feature now, but what is
>> fundamentally different is access to and control of the
>> attribute tables. In this case, all attribute management
>> stays in the database where it belongs.
>
> Again, except for the key fields confusingly labeled as "layers" and one
> other legacy feature from GRASS 5, all attribute management does stay in the
> database.

Unless you use it in the way I suggested in an earlier mail, i.e. cat 1
= coniferous, cat 2 = broadleaved, cat 10 = pine, etc.

The way it 'should' be used to stick with Trevor's suggestions is

cat 1 = tree number 1
cat 2 = tree number 2

etc.

And then have a table with columns

treenumber, species, etc,

with possibly another table with

species, type

where type= conferous or broadleaved

And then, if you need a map of coniferous and broadleaved trees, you
create a view:

CREATE VIEW v1 AS SELECT treenumber, type FROM trees, types WHERE
trees.species=types.species

And then link to v1 with

v.db.connect map table=v1 key=treenumber

> The "cat" value in the key (aka "layer), connects a vector object
> with its corresponding record(s) in the attribute table. The GRASS 5 legacy
> is that you can have a single text field that accompanies each key. This is
> a left over when the only vector database easily available consisted of a
> single integer field (cat) and single text field (label) for each vector
> file. This mirrored the attribute structure of raster files. We could
> probably drop the "label" field from the vector database structure with
> little loss and some gain in understandability. We could then rename
> "layers" and "cat" to "key fields" or "keys". This brings up another
> terminological confusion. We commonly refer to a "cat" value. This is simply
> the integer value within each key.
>
> I think it would help a lot if we simply dropped "cat" and "layer" (keeping
> a reference to these terms in the documentation for legacy data) and used
> some version of key and value. For example:

I'm really not sure that the layer, cat terminology is really the
problem, here...

>> The benefits of this system can be seen in a simple example.
>> Right now if you have a point file and you want to create a
>> buffer around those points all the attribute information is
>> lost and must be patched back in.
>
> This is only lost if the key (aka "layer"/"cat") is lost. If it is
> maintained, one only has to run v.db.connect to re-establish the link
> between the vector key and the attribute table.
 >
>> By keeping attributes in
>> the database it would be much simpler to have an attribute
>> in the new vector linking back to the old key and thus
>> effectively keeping all the old attribute information linked
>> to the derived layer.
>>

> As per above. If the layer/cat is being lost, it needs to be fixed.

v.buffer is a very special case, and I don't know how you would solve
the question in your system: the attribute information is lost since
v.buffer fusions overlapping buffers into one single buffer. As
mentioned on the man page, there is no automatic way to know which cat
(or keyvalue) to give to this single fusioned buffer.

It might be an idea to add a flag to v.buffer to not fusion buffers, and
then keep the cats (or keyvalues)

> So I guess the main issue is simply one of terminology (and maybe getting
> rid of the confusing "label" legacy).

As already mentioned, I'm not sure if this is really the issue, but if
you think it helps making things more clear for users, I don't have any
objections.

One thing that might be useful, is to add an option to v.category to
justcopy the category value from one layer to another, thus allowing to
link one map to different tables with the same key value. But then
again, this should probably be done within the database using views or
new tables, and not on the map side...

> Also better explanation is needed. I did an explanation on the WIKI some
> time back after I achieved 'layer enlightenment'. Please don't hesitate to
> add to it.

For those looking for it:
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Vector_Database_Management#Concepts_and_jargon

Moritz