[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] RE: Problem querying layers other than '1' in gi s.m

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Wed Sep 27 11:36:44 EDT 2006

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:35:25 -0700
Michael Barton wrote:

-snip-

> There seems to be some confusion in your statement about not liking GRASS as
> a database and so switching to PostgreSQL. Perhaps what you really mean is
> that you find dbf limiting for attribute management and prefer PostgreSQL.

That is not what I said. What I said was that because I find attribute
management awkward in GRASS I use PostGIS (the PostgreSQL equivalent
to Oracle Spatial) for most vector work unless I need features in
GRASS not found in PostGIS. In comparisons for operations such as
overlays or point in polygon searches, GRASS is slightly faster than
PostGIS, but in most cases the performance hit hasn't been significant
and in the end, it is much faster to use PostGIS instead of GRASS
because I don't have to import and export and reconnect attribute data.
I get the results I want in a single query. I would like to have that
same kind of control within GRASS.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)