[GRASS-dev] RE: [GRASS-user] Error importing DMS into standar dformat usingv. in.ascii

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Sep 27 17:31:05 EDT 2006

Patton, Eric wrote:

> Ok, I finally got my points imported with this command:
>
> echo "B 5 1
>  66.5 44.0
>  66.5 44.25
>  66.0 44.25
>  66.0 44.0
>  66.5 44.0
> 1 1" | v.in.ascii -n output=new_test format=standard

FWIW, feeding sizeable amounts of literal text to a command's stdin is
best done using a "here document" rather than using "echo", e.g.:

v.in.ascii -n output=new_test format=standard <<EOF
B 5 1
 66.5 44.0
 66.5 44.25
 66.0 44.25
 66.0 44.0
 66.5 44.0
1 1
EOF

> Note that the field separator is a space, but v.in.ascii is not explicitly
> told so using the fs= parameter, which is kind of odd.

The fs= option only applies to format=point. Actually, most of the
options only apply to format=point.

v.in.ascii is essentially two different programs in one; format=point
and format=standard have very little in common.