[GRASS-dev] Scale display in GRASS Monitor

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 01:38:13 EDT 2006

Daniel Calvelo wrote:
> How about having a global conversion factor that can be calibrated,
> e.g. as an environment variable.
>
> Give the user the option to manually calibrate that: show him a bar or
> set of bars, ask him to measure it/them using a ruler and report the
> results. That would be neat at graphical startup screens. We can even
> have our own (reliable) measures to test against absurd values.
>
> Just an idea. It's rather odd that no GIS implements this kind of
> artisanal method...

the Gimp used to let you do this when you installed it, ie displayed a
ruler on the screen and asked you to measure it. AFAICT in the Gnome
"dumming down" efforts this has been abandoned, or at least isn't
presented as part of the new install wizard.

I'm afraid I don't see the benefit, but do see a lot of problems.

Hamish