[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Views in pgSQL

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Apr 11 11:37:15 EDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 05:25:24PM +0200, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On 11/04/07 13:48, Jaros??aw Jasiewicz wrote:
> >Moritz Lennert napisa??(a):

> >>What is the exact error message you are receiving.

> >>I am not aware of any related changes...
>

> Sorry, I spoke to fast. I think I now found the culprit:
>
> revision 1.40
> date: 2006/11/28 08:42:02;  author: markus;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
> if table doesn't exist: fatal error

Which file is that?
Ah, below I see that you mean v.db.connect/main.c.

> Before it was only a warning, not a fatal error, and so the connection
> was established and worked.
>
> This undoes what Radim did two years earlier:
>
> revision 1.24
> date: 2004/11/25 13:15:47;  author: radim;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
> error -> warning if table does not exist
>
> Markus, what was the reason that you changed this ?

I don't really remember but I think that it broke scripts which
use v.db.connect.
At least: if the source code doesn't contain a comment to keep
special tricks it's likely that they get lost.

> Either we have to revert this again, or we have to find a way to check
> for views as well as tables, which means either implementing
> db_view_exists() (with all the individual implementations, or just
> modify the list_tables functions of the individual drivers to include
> views. In the PostgreSQL driver, the statement used is ( ):
>
> "select * from pg_tables where tablename !~ 'pg_*' order by tablename"
>
> For views this would have to be something like:
>
> SELECT viewname FROM pg_views WHERE schemaname NOT IN
> ('pg_catalog','information_schema') AND viewname !~ '^pg_';
>
> So the results of these two calls would have to be combined before
> db__driver_list_tables() returns the results.
>
> I don't know if there are any good reasons not to just include views
> into the list of tables...

I have no suggestion here how to solve the problem. But yes,
views should be visible somehow.

> In the meantime, you can just modify v.db.connect at line 231 from
>
>         G_fatal_error(_("Table <%s> does not exist in database
> <%s>"),dbtable->answer, dbdatabase->answer);

>         G_warning(_("Table <%s> does not exist in database
> <%s>"),dbtable->answer, dbdatabase->answer);
>

> >BTW:
> >Pg Views are very important for me when I connect-reconnect vector files
> >to different atribute table. I use (used!) views insted of original
> >table to avoid occasional removing original data and to speed up
> >transfer limiting data in views only to these needed for
> >(sorry, I think everybody knows it)
>
> I completely agree with you. Being able to connect maps to views is
> fundamental in my eyes.

Yes. But we need a reasonable implementation.
Anyone with suggestions how to implement it?

Markus