[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Views in pgSQL

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Apr 13 07:51:45 EDT 2007

On 13/04/07 12:50, Jarosław Jasiewicz wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your effort. I just updated my grass source base on
> your diff file (only for pg) now I canged  files you send me. All seems
> to be OK now
> As I understand it will be included in cvs soon?

If no one objects (to listing views together with tables), I can commit, yes

> BTW
> I'm not experienced in grass (I work with that system for year now) but
> I has worked as an database administaor (on MSSQL Server) for several
> years and with arcInfo too. Grass, due to open architecture has much
> more posibilites on database managment than most closed systems.

You might be interested in a little proof of concept reimplementation I
did of d.vect.chart (attached  - also see
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2006-October/026504.html).

This allows you to enter any sql query to chose the data you want to
display, thus giving you the freedom to skip view creation and query
many different tables at once directly. This obviusly implies a much
greater responsibility of the user to make sure the query returns what
is needed.

I think it would be interesting to think about whether such approach is
something to take further in GRASS.

Moritz