[GRASS-dev] ascii export and import, large file problem

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Apr 13 09:13:26 EDT 2007

On Apr 13, 2007, at 8:39 AM, Gerald Nelson wrote:

> Helena, I think the issue when I tried this before is that grass
> doesn't know that x and y are in degrees while z is in meters. It
> either assumes they are the same or uses the zfactor option to
> multiply the z value by something to get it into the same units as
> x and y.

that issue relates to feet - r.slope.aspect converts x,y, or rather
the horizontal distance derived from x,y
to meters (so if it is lat/long, feet, or anything else defined in
PROJ_UNIT it converts it to meters)
si if you elevations are in anything else than meters - you have to
be careful and convert also your elevation to meters
because GRASS has no way of knowing you elevation units. So if your
elevation is in meters,
you should be fine. Let me know if not. I always project  the lat/
long data because I work in smaller
areas and it is easier to work with x,y than long.lat so I have never
tried computation of slope
in long/lat, but by looking at the code it should work.

> But if I could tell grass that the z units were meters explicitly,
> couldn't grass do the conversion automatically?

as I explained above - GRASS assumes it is in meters.

> Especially since the conversion changes as you move north.

yes, it uses geodesic to covert - that is what I was trying to say in
my email below:

"If the projection is  latitude-longitude, this distance is measured
along the geodesic."

I hope this helps - it is kind of messy,

Helena