[GRASS-dev] Unused files

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Apr 16 17:19:53 EDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 06:03:12PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> There are currently 78 source files whose functions don't appear to be
> used by anything.
>
> Some of these may be used by components which aren't being compiled on
> my system, and some have been added with the intention of future use.
> OTOH, some of them may simply be obsolete.
>
> Please provide comments as to whether specific files should or
> shouldn't be removed.
>
> The complete list is:
>
>  lib/cdhc/enormp.c                 | enormp
>  lib/cdhc/shapiro2.c               | shapiro_francia
>  lib/cdhc/shapiroe.c               | shapiro_wilk_exp
>  lib/cdhc/cvmw2e.c                 | cramer_von_mises_exp
>  lib/cdhc/kse.c                    | kolmogorov_smirnov_exp
>  lib/cdhc/kuiprsve.c               | kuipers_v_exp
>  lib/cdhc/watsonue.c               | watson_u2_exp
>  lib/cdhc/andrsnde.c               | anderson_darling_exp
>  lib/cdhc/chisqe.c                 | chi_square_exp

Probably these cdhc/ should go into gmath/ in any case for
future developments?

[ ... dbmi ...]
I feel that DBMI was left in the middle of its development,
in particular Radim was digging through and making it
functional (the needed parts). I have no idea which parts
can be savely abandoned.

>  lib/gmath/la.c                    | G__matrix_add

The la stuff us the LAPACK wrapper and needed for i.spec.unix
(Spectral Unmixing) on which Brad is working to make it
ready for GRASS 6 (it's one of my MSc modules). Please keep.

>  lib/gmath/svd.c                   | G_svbksb
>  lib/gmath/svd.c                   | G_svdcmp
>  lib/gmath/svd.c                   | G_svelim

Single Value Decomposition was originally in lib/gis/, I had
moved it there and originally used it for Spectral Unmixing
(matrix inversion). In the end I had to use a different
approach. But probably SVD is useful for someone in future.

>  lib/imagery/add_cov.c             | I_add_covariances
>  lib/imagery/advance.c             | I_tape_advance
>  lib/imagery/ask.c                 | I_ask
>  lib/imagery/ask_subgrp.c          | I_ask_subgroup_new
>  lib/imagery/ask_subgrp.c          | I_ask_subgroup_old
>  lib/imagery/band_io.c             | I_close_band
>  lib/imagery/band_io.c             | I_open_band_new
>  lib/imagery/colors.c              | I_free_group_colors
>  lib/imagery/colors.c              | I_read_group_blu_colors
>  lib/imagery/colors.c              | I_read_group_colors
>  lib/imagery/colors.c              | I_read_group_grn_colors
>  lib/imagery/colors.c              | I_read_group_red_colors
>  lib/imagery/colors.c              | I_write_group_blu_colors
>  lib/imagery/colors.c              | I_write_group_colors
>  lib/imagery/colors.c              | I_write_group_grn_colors
>  lib/imagery/colors.c              | I_write_group_red_colors
>  lib/imagery/image.c               | I_close_image
>  lib/imagery/image.c               | I_get_image_row
>  lib/imagery/image.c               | I_image_colors
>  lib/imagery/image.c               | I_open_image
>  lib/imagery/image.c               | I_translate_image_data
>  lib/imagery/open.c                | I_open_group_file_new
>  lib/imagery/open.c                | I_open_group_file_old
>  lib/imagery/percent.c             | I_percent
>  lib/imagery/proj.c                | I_must_be_imagery_projection
>  lib/imagery/sig2cats.c            | I_signature_to_cats

These imagery functions, if really unused, are probably
delete candidates.

>  lib/vector/Vlib/dbcolumns.c       | Vect_get_column_names
>  lib/vector/Vlib/dbcolumns.c       | Vect_get_column_names_types
>  lib/vector/Vlib/dbcolumns.c       | Vect_get_column_types
>  lib/vector/Vlib/graph.c           | Vect_graph_add_edge
>  lib/vector/Vlib/graph.c           | Vect_graph_build
>  lib/vector/Vlib/graph.c           | Vect_graph_init
>  lib/vector/Vlib/graph.c           | Vect_graph_set_node_costs
>  lib/vector/Vlib/graph.c           | Vect_graph_shortest_path
>  lib/vector/Vlib/overlap.c         | V__map_overlap
>  lib/vector/Vlib/overlay.c         | Vect_overlay
>  lib/vector/Vlib/overlay.c         | Vect_overlay_and
>  lib/vector/Vlib/overlay.c         | Vect_overlay_str_to_operator

I am suprised to see these Vect functions unused. Really sure?

>  lib/vector/dglib/avl.c            | avl_allocator_default

avl: libavl - library for manipulation of binary trees
I think we have also lib/btree/ is that's the same purpose?

No idea about the other functions.

Markus