[GRASS-dev] new G_find_etc() and g.findetc

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Apr 19 00:44:02 EDT 2007

Thanks to Glynn's expert help, I added a G_find_etc() function to
libgis, and a companion g.findetc command.

These are used to locate support files for C and script modules that
may be in a directory not inside the GRASS installation ($GISBASE/
etc).  They are intended for use by addon modules and scripts that
are installed externally to the GRASS installation ($GISBASE).  The
search paths are specified in the env var GRASS_ADDON_ETC.  If not
found in those paths (or none are specified), it tries $GISBASE/etc.

To use, instead of hardwiring the etc path to $GISBASE:

   sprintf(path, "%s/etc/somefile", G_gisbase());

search for it with:

   path = G_find_etc("somefile");

and make sure to test for null = it wasn't found.

For scripts, use something like:

   fpath=`g.findetc file=somefile`

Works to find both files and folders, and subfolders.  The Mac OS X
app startup has been updated to add the default global and user addon
etc folders to GRASS_ADDON_ETC.

This is a followup to my message from March:

http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-dev/2007-March/029975.html

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do
if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer,
I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy