[GRASS-dev] Re: SoC 2007

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Apr 20 10:15:56 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 04:10:14PM +0300, Wolf Bergenheim wrote:
> On 20.04.2007 15:14, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > Wolf Bergenheim wrote on 04/20/2007 01:29 PM:

> >> That is true... and daily commits is something I think is mandatory for
> >> the collaboration in SoC, just to be able to track the student progress.
> >> So in that light I think that perhaps the code.google.com repository
> >> might be the place. Another option I assume could be the addons svn, but
> >> I'm not sure if people will like that either since it has also some
> >> email commit log thing...
> >>
> > What is the problem with the email commit log? It's sent to this list:
> > Who wants can subscribe.
>
> Paul had concerns of too many messages cluttering the list with SoC
> commits. Personally I don't think it is a problem.

Nor me - a commit is a commit. Any they don't need to make
each single character modification a commit :)

> >> I think that read access can be given to the whole world. So yeah
> >> anybody should be able to get any code from there. I also think that
> >> they give a web-access just like in sourceforge.
> >>
> > We should take care to not spread the code too much around. Otherwise
> > connections will get
> > lost or at least tedious. Currently we have GRASS-CVS for the "real"
> > code and
> > GRASS-Addons SVN as breeding site. Isn't that enough? The GRASS-Addons
> > SVN is
> > publicly readable, with password-controlled write access, web interface
> > and own
> > commit mailing list.
>
> Do people check out this code? Do people test it?

Besides documentation/flyer, it currently contains:

gipe/
gui/
i.landsat.dehaze/
r.boxcount/
r.boxcount.sh/
r.out.netcdf/
v.curvature/
v.strahler/

gui/ is under heavy development, also gipe/. The others are
single modules with varying level of testing.

> My worry is that if we
> only store code in the addons svn nobody will even bother to look at
> it. (except for me).

Not sure about this. And also: you need first sort of functional
code to make tests as a user. This simply takes time.

> But if I commit that code to the GRASS cvs people
> will see it and even be tempted to test it, which is what we want. In
> the end of SoC the code has to be submitted to Google anyway for review,
> and that means at least one commit to the code.google.com repository if
> I have understood things correctly. The whole point with the CVS access
> was that we would make the SoC students feel welcome into the core GRASS
> community, which would increase the chances of them sticking around
> after the SoC. But I guess svn access will be good enough in that
> puropse too.

Peronally, I thought of starting in SVN and then moving it to CVS
once there is relevant code. Meanwhile we have maybe done the
entire SVN migration and the problem disappears?

> So, how do I go about requesting access to the addons svn? Can I also
> request access on the behalf of Daniel Bundala and Maximilian Maldacker?

Sure.
They may just drop me an email.

Markus