[GRASSGUI] Re: [GRASS-dev] numeric-numpy-scipy for graphs?

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Sun Apr 22 16:18:06 EDT 2007

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:44:34 -0700
Michael Barton wrote:

> I agree that these functions should be maintained and even enhanced,
> especially for scripting.

As discussed a long time ago on the list, there is no reason why a
wrapper function couldn't be created in python to make calls to the GUI
from the command line, to allow for scripted control of the GUI using
sockets (not Unix specific ones). One socket could be listened to by
the GUI and the command line wrapper would simply pass calls to that
socket thus allowing CLI access. I had planned to develop this myself,
but being up to my ass in alligators (figuratively speaking) I've not
had the time.

If there is good functionality available through wxGRASS, why maintain
another version of a similar function. It could be argued that some
users would prefer to avoid the overhead of a GUI, but for them, there
are older versions of GRASS. AFAIC duplication is a bad thing. In
the similar vein to Python, there should be one obvious way to do
things. GRASS is already so big, we don't need more duplication.

So I would vote for inclusion of scipy for graphing and planning the
obsolescence of the older means.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)