[GRASSGUI] Re: [GRASS-dev] numeric-numpy-scipy for graphs?

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Sun Apr 22 17:30:56 EDT 2007

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 21:31:49 +0100
Glynn Clements wrote:

> Trevor Wiens wrote:
>
> > > I agree that these functions should be maintained and even enhanced,
> > > especially for scripting.
> >
> > As discussed a long time ago on the list, there is no reason why a
> > wrapper function couldn't be created in python to make calls to the GUI
> > from the command line, to allow for scripted control of the GUI using
> > sockets (not Unix specific ones). One socket could be listened to by
> > the GUI and the command line wrapper would simply pass calls to that
> > socket thus allowing CLI access. I had planned to develop this myself,
> > but being up to my ass in alligators (figuratively speaking) I've not
> > had the time.
>
> Being able to remote-control the GUI is a separate issue.
>
> Functionality (including creating graphics) should be available in an
> environment where you cannot create a window (no X server, no X libs).

In that case why not allow users to export their data to R and use that
or pipe to another graph producing package like ploticus (which I've
used extensively and found to be excellent as it includes CMYK
eps output options, and much better than any other of the products
suggested in this discussion so far IMHO). Neither of these solutions
would require as much work as maintaining duplicate modules which
produce lower quality results. Yes, it is an additional dependency, but
a general management rule states one should manage for the majority and
treat special cases individually. I would expect that the majority of
users use GRASS in a windowing environment, so we are talking about a
very small portion of the user base, no?

Another option would be to use a single solution that can be used in
all cases. If this were to be the case I would vote for serious
consideration being given to ploticus. FYI, Steve Grubb also has a
small postscript library which supports CMYK, which we might want to
look at using to enhance the ps output options with the d.* modules.

I'm not trying to make things complicated, but I'm trying to make sure
we don't waste effort recreating things that already exist and good.

One of my current projects is producing a book on birds for which I
produced almost 600 graphs as CMYK eps files. Matplotlib couldn't do it.
GnuPlot sucks IMHO. PyX was as user friendly as a poke in the eye,
although the list people were very nice. I was able to do what I needed
with ploticus within half a day of looking at it and could continue to
customize it as needed. It may appear a bit old fashioned compared to
some of the Python plotting products, but it is easily understood,
provides fine control when needed, and produces output in a variety of
formats. No GUI required. If we wrote wrapper to use it, the output
could be displayed in a separate window or written to file.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)