[GRASS-dev] Replacement of NVIZ

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at gmx.de
Mon Apr 23 07:06:30 EDT 2007

Dear Michael,

Michael Barton schrieb:
> It's great that we can export GRASS data to be used in high-end
> multi-dimensional visualization platforms like Paraview and MayVi2. I've
> used Paraview a bit. I wouldn't call it easy or intuitive, but it is quite
> sophisticated and powerful--though not particularly fast in my experience.
>
> However, using any of these packages is not a replacement for NVIZ. NVIZ
> will let a user quickly and seamlessly render 2, 2.5, 3, and 4 dimensional
> data within a GRASS GIS session. This is a real bonus. And NVIZ does this
> better than any other rendering engine within a GIS that I've seen. In this
> sense, NVIZ has a different goal from Paraview and other dedicated
> multidemensional rendering packages.
>
> So I hope that we can get NVIZ ported to wxPython and make it an even more
> seamless part of the geospatial visualization tools for GRASS. Making

Good news. Nice to hear that. I hope you will redesign the gui, so it will be more intuitive.
I have had a look at the NVIZ code and was afraid that this construct is not maintainable.
Well, this is hopefully related to my very little knowledge of software design and C coding
with Tcl/Tk bindings.

> tighter connections between GRASS and other, external visualization tools is
> also a worthy plan--similar to the integration between GRASS and R. But
> IMHO, we should not abandon NVIZ or something like it.

I guess you are right. An integrated 2.5d, 3d and 4d visualization tool is important.
The good thing is that ParaView is not only a visualization tool, it is
a preprocessing and analysis tool with 4d support and powerful threaded image processing.

Best regards
Soeren