[GRASS-dev] using system fonts?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Apr 23 21:42:06 EDT 2007

I wonder if [wx]Python has a general font handling API that taps into
the platform font/type API - for both selecting and drawing fonts.

Especially on OSX, probably Windows, available fonts are not just
what's "installed".  There are 3rd party utilities that 'activate'
fonts outside the normal font folders, using the system API.

On Apr 23, 2007, at 8:02 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> I guess, I'm thinking of my Mac-centric world (thought similar for
> Windows
> too), where bringing up a font selection dialog lets me access the
> fonts
> installed on my system and send their specifications to a display
> app. I
> don't have to go searching for them. These are the bitmapped fonts, in
> general I guess.
>
> It would simply be nice to be able to make a consistent font selection
> interface across GRASS. I don't use Linux enough to know where a
> font-selection dialog created by wxPython, for example, gets its
> fonts.
>
> Maybe it's more a matter of specifying fonts. Currently, we have to
> give a
> TT font file path. Could it accept a bitmapped font description too
> (font
> name, style, color, size)?
>
> Michael

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do
if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer,
I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy