[GRASS-dev] ascii export and import, large file problem

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 25 23:42:03 EDT 2007

Hamish,

can you please add your suggestion for adding cell_misc/units to
an appropriate place (development) on wiki so that it does not get
burried
in the mail archives?

I am finding the unit info essential especially for modeling (I
started to add
it to the file names for lack of other options) - for example,
precipitation
map can be mm/month or mm/hr, inputs or outputs such as  infiltration
rate,
erodibility, critical sheer stress, all can have different units,
you can have temperature in deg Celsius or Fahrenheit
- there are many examples. Also the  modules should be able
to check the unit (e.g. r.slope.aspect for feet or meters) and/or at
least inform the user
in the --help what units are expected (I am just adding it to simwe -
we forgot
to describe it in manual and there was no way to find out that
e.g. rainfall was expected in m/s rather than more common mm/hr).

Thanks, Helena