[GRASS-dev] Re: helpful error messages

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Apr 29 19:49:49 EDT 2007

Thanks for the input.

The TclTk error codes are generated by TclTk. They are generally very
verbose, though that is not always helpful. But they aren't too bad as error
codes go, since they are in english rather than a numeric code and they
indicate where the error occurred.

Sometimes the TclTk errors are actually generated by a GRASS or system
problem. I'm trying to add more TclTk error traps (catch clauses) that will
print these to the terminal when they happen. They may or may not be more
interpretable, but at least they will be available.

In a few cases where we can anticipate a possible user error and know what
causes it, I can build in a message box that explains the problem. There are
a number of these scattered throughout the code, though not as many as the
catch clauses I'm adding, because it is very difficult to know in advance
what is wrong in order to generate a non-TclTk/GRASS/system error message.

Michael

On 4/29/07 3:15 PM, "Gerald Nelson" <gnelson at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> I don't often get a chance to have input to hard core code development so this
> may be a naive request, but...
>
> can I enter a request for error messages generally, and from the catch code
> being discussed in particular, that are verbose and provide some indication of
> the likely source of the problem. Or when the source could be a variety of
> things, a list of possible problems?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity