[GRASS-dev] font path question for Linux and Windows

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Apr 29 23:44:13 EDT 2007

On Apr 29, 2007, at 7:27 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> First, we should try to come up with a list of directories which are
> viable candidates for containing fonts.
>
> The installed freetypecap file (currently just a copy of
> scripts/d.text.freetype/freetypecap) should be generated by scanning
> all such directories for .ttf files.
>
> If browsing for font files, I would suggest starting with whichever
> directory has the most entries in the freetypecap file.
>
> BTW, with Cygwin, I would suggest starting with $WINDIR/Fonts,
> converted to a Cygwin path, e.g. "cygpath -u $WINDIR/fonts". Windows
> is likely to have more fonts than Cygwin.

Note that font names on OSX aren't required to follow any file
extension conventions.  First the HFS+ file type/creator is used to
determine if a file is a font, then the file extension if the type/
creator are empty.  I think it's that order.

So scanning automatically for fonts to create the freetypecap may
miss many fonts, unless it knew how to check OSX type/creator info
for a file.

ie the MS fonts that come with the system have no extension.  Also,
many TT fonts in OSX have been repackaged in the .dfont (a flattened
resource-fork file).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin