[GRASS-dev] font path question for Linux and Windows

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Apr 30 01:19:02 EDT 2007

On 4/29/07 9:29 PM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>>> If browsing for font files, I would suggest starting with whichever
>>> directory has the most entries in the freetypecap file.
>>
>> My freetypecap file has virtually nothing in it, only the fonts from the
>> x11/fonts directory. Maybe this is different for your system. If most linux
>> TTF end up there, then I can set the browse dialog to start there for linux
>> systems. I don't know about windows.
>
> I've added scripts/d.freetypecap, which generates a freetypecap file
> by scanning a (hard-coded) list of directories for .ttf files. The
> list of directories is currently:
>
> /usr/lib/X11/fonts
> /usr/share/fonts
> /Library/Fonts
> $WINDIR/Fonts
>
> The script is run during the build process to generate a freetypecap
> file. For binary distributions, it really needs to be run after
> installation, to identify the fonts on the user's system.

I'm sure this will be useful, especially for people who just want to type in
a font name and go. I'm not quite sure how I can use it at the moment, as
I've got a file browser looking in a directory for fonts. To make use of
this in the GUI, I think I'd need to build a list control that reads the
font name from the first part of each line in the freetypecap file.

>>> BTW, with Cygwin, I would suggest starting with $WINDIR/Fonts,
>>> converted to a Cygwin path, e.g. "cygpath -u $WINDIR/fonts". Windows
>>> is likely to have more fonts than Cygwin.

Can I specify this location for both MySys and Cygwin systems by using the
TclTk syntax...

set fontpath [file joint $WINDIR "Fonts"]

and letting it work differently for each system? Or do I need to have

set fontpath [exec cygpath -u $WINDIR/fonts]

for Cygwin (or something different) ?

Michael

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University