[GRASS-dev] default display font selection in GUI

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 03:45:57 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:

> I¹ve added a menu option (under configure) to make it easier to set
> the default font for displayed text in GRASS. It works pretty well
> with my Mac, but it needs to be tested on other systems. Currently it
> tries to get you to a reasonable possibility for a directory
> containing your fonts. On the Mac, it goes to  /Library/Fonts, on
> Windows, it starts at $WINDIR/fonts, on other systems, it starts at
> /usr/lib/x11/fonts. If one of these directories does not contain your
> fonts, you can browse to it. The font selection dialog will retain
> your settings throughout the GRASS session to make it easy to change
> default display fonts.

WRT Linux, it should be "X11", not "x11":

- /usr/lib/x11/fonts
+ /usr/lib/X11/fonts

on Debian all the TT fonts are in /usr/share/fonts [/truetype/].

/usr/lib/X11/fonts exists as a symlink to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/,
but that only has residual symlinks, encoding info, and cache files.

Debian can/will always patch to do things the Debian way, but what's
popular with other distros these days?

Hamish