[GRASS-dev] default display font selection in GUI

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Apr 30 10:19:08 EDT 2007

On 4/30/07 2:02 AM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> I¹ve added a menu option (under configure) to make it easier to set the
>> default font for displayed text in GRASS. It works pretty well with my Mac,
>> but it needs to be tested on other systems. Currently it tries to get you to
>> a reasonable possibility for a directory containing your fonts. On the Mac,
>> it goes to  /Library/Fonts, on Windows, it starts at $WINDIR/fonts, on other
>> systems, it starts at /usr/lib/x11/fonts.
>
> Note that it should be "X11" with an upper-case "X".

Duly noted by Hamish.

>> If one of these directories does not contain your fonts, you can
>> browse to it.
>
> Does it handle the case where the directory doesn't exist? Gentoo
> doesn't have /usr/lib/X11/fonts; fonts normally go into subdirectories
> of /usr/share/fonts.

Yes. There is a test. If the 'reasonable guess' initial directory doesn't
exist, the initdir variable is set to "", which means it starts out in the
current working directory. Once you browse to your font director and pick
something, this is set as default for the rest of the session or until you
change it.

Michael

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University