[GRASS-dev] Re: wx init.sh needs updating

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Aug 7 01:44:12 EDT 2007

William,

I thought that the cvs version of init.sh was the one to use now. Please go
ahead and make the one further change. We should get rid of the init.sh in
the svn repository and instructions that say to use it. If you take care of
init.sh in the cvs, I'll take care of the svn version. Thanks for noticing
this.

I started messing around with a python replacement for init.sh, just to see
what is needed. It is going pretty well, but tedious. Once done (and
probably won't work right off) it could be a good opportunity to clean up
the start up script for GRASS. Thinking ahead to a time when the same script
can start GRASS on all platforms.

Michael

On 8/6/07 10:14 PM, "William Kyngesburye" <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:

> Just found some time to take a look at wxgrass again.  The init.sh in
> the svn gui source needs to be updated - there are a bunch of updates
> missing, so if someone overwrites their existing init.sh per the
> readme, the updates will be lost.
>
> I see that most of the wx changes are already in the GRASS cvs
> init.sh.  The other option would be to update the readme install
> instructions - with one update to the CVS init.sh, this step could be
> removed.  The one difference I found is the message about restarting/
> starting the gui.  This would take care of the different gui cases (I
> left out d.m):
>
> case "$GRASS_GUI" in
>      tcltk | gis.m)
>          echo "If required, restart the graphical user interface
> with: gis.m"
>          ;;
>      wx)
>          echo "If required, restart the graphical user interface
> with: wxgrass &"
>          ;;
>      *)
>          echo "Start the graphical user interface with: gis.m"
>          ;;
> esac
>
> (I could apply that if you like.)
>
> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> Theory of the Universe
>
> There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
> what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
> disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
> inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
> already happened.
>
> -Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213