[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] GRASS6.3 on Windows

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Aug 8 03:54:34 EDT 2007

Bob Covill wrote:

> > I've added an nviz.bat script for use on Windows; I've also fixed the
> > Makefile to ensure that the binary gets the .exe extension.
>
> This implements one of the suggestion I made for Windows back on May 19,
> 2007 (Subj.: Nviz on native Windows). I guess no one had tested them??

Presumably not.

This has always been the biggest problem with the Windows and MacOSX
ports. Most developers don't use those platforms, and most of the
people who do use them aren't developers.

> The other suggestion was try directly running nviz2.2_script ....
> > Another way, which may be a better solution for windows is to edit the
> > nviz2.2_script file and replace "#!/nviz -f" with "#!
> > $GISBASE/etc/nviz2.2/nviz -f". You may need to enter the full path for
> > $GISBASE. After editing the file copy it to $GISBASE/bin/nviz
> > (overwriting the old nviz script). Make sure it is executable. Run
> > nviz (formerly nviz2.2_script).

Anything involving "#!" won't work natively on Windows.

Also, anything involving MSys' bash is asking for trouble. Real
portability will likely only be obtained by scrapping the use of
Bourne shell in favour of e.g. Python.