[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.3.0 release preparation

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Aug 11 17:04:28 EDT 2007

Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Mayor numbers are usually associated with a change in format, thus
> breaking retrocompatibility; would this mean you intend to change the
> (now very old) raster format?

The existing formats (at least, the most recent versions) would need
to be supported. Also, the raster format has been extended before
without a major revision (support for zlib-compressed integer maps).

Substantial change to the raster format isn't high on my agenda,
although allowing nulls to be embedded is. Anything beyond that really
needs significant discussion and consideration before it is
implemented.

My first priority is cleaning up: simplifying the graphics API (no
monitors, no mouse handling), eliminating terminal interaction (vask,
curses, G_ask_*), eliminating the 4.x raster I/O functions, etc.