[GRASS-dev] Launching GRASS 7 development

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Aug 11 17:18:47 EDT 2007

Markus Neteler wrote:

> While we should concentrate now on getting out 6.3.0 (e.g.,
> fixing issues indicated by Helena [1]), it is important
> to start planning for a GRASS 7 dev-branch management.
>
> For GRASS 6, we used for quite some time a mixed solution,
> with new code stored in the grass6/ repository and linking
> old, relevant code from grass[5]/ into it using some link
> scripts.
>
> I am not sure if we want the same for grass7/, too.
> On the other hand, replicating code is impossible since
> it won't be well maintained given our limited resources.
>
> Thoughts also here?

I found the "make mix" mechanism to be a nuisance.

Also:

1. I was hoping to bulk-reformat the code with "indent" before we
started doing any actual work on it (so we need to finalise the
formatting conventions).

AFAICT, bulk reformatting is safe. Compiling without -g [1] and with
-DNODEBUG [2] then generating MD5 hashes for all of the .o files
produces the same hashes before and after reformatting.

[1] Debug information includes line numbers.
[2] -DNODEBUG disables the assert() macro, which uses __LINE__

2. Are we going to use CVS or Subversion for 7.x?