[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.3.0 release preparation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Aug 11 19:04:19 EDT 2007

On 8/11/07 2:10 PM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

>> I realize that getting wxPython 2.8 on some systems is currently a problem,
>> but this can be helped a lot by the release of wxPython packages for
>> different Linux systems within the GRASS community (Mac and Windows binaries
>> seem to be released along with any new wxPython version change). The recent
>> prep of a Mandriva RPM by (sorry I can't remember) is a good example. Also,
>> we never took advantage of the packaging features of TclTk, but could do so
>> for a wxPython GUI to make this easier.
>
> Even if we provide .rpm/.deb/etc files for every OS in existence, many
> people may be unwilling to use a third-party package which might
> conceivably conflict with the "vendor" version.

Sorry, but I don't understand your point here. How is providing a binary
that is not available from the wxPython site in conflict with the 'vendor'
version? This is just a convenience to make it easier for someone to install
the software. They can always compile from source if they want a custom
version.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity