[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.3.0 release preparation

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 22:50:00 EDT 2007

Paul:
> > I was just thinking, the Python GUI can probably be merged into the CVS
> > HEAD after a release branch has been created for 6.4.x (probably won't be
> > ready for that for at least a couple of months). Then there will be 6.5.x
> > - we can probably start making other major changes there and release it
> > eventually as 7.0? How does that sound?
Glynn:
> I'm disinclined towards the creation of 6.4/6.5 versions. I would
> prefer to see stable = 6.3.x, dev = 7.0-cvs.

My inclination is to package 6.3.0 in the near future as a tech-preview release
while keeping 6.2.x as the main stable line, and the version we recommend to
brand new users.

As I don't think it would break anything (or even touch anything other than
init.sh), merging in the WxGUI from Markus's SVN before 6.3.0 release as a
non-default optional GUI choice would be a nice thing. Lack of wx2.8 is a
self-correcting problem with time; as long as Wx isn't the default GUI, we
shouldn't worry ourselves about it. It's an optional extra.

After 6.3.0(dev) is released get GRASSs' SVN running and start fresh GRASS 7.x
devel there. (no comment right now on the 'make mix' question other than 1) I
think the 5.7 transition worked very well, and 2) with 6.3.0(dev) released I
don't mind the vast majority of development moving to the 7.x SVN- it isn't
nearly as radical as migration as the 5.0->5.7 was for dev-users)

If 7.0.0 is not ready for release in say 6 months, it might be nice to release
a stable 6.4.0 dead-end release (much like 5.4.0 was). I don't like the idea of
releasing 6.3.0 as a stable release, as: 1) we'd like to release it now, and
IMO 6.3cvs isn't ready to be called stable [compared to 6.2.x's level of
stability], which leads to: 2) 6.3.0 as devel release and 6.3.1 as stable sneds
a mucky message to users. So I'd prefer a 6.4.0 --if it is decided in future to
make another stable release in the 6.x line--.

exec ver of suggestion:
1) wx -> CVS [soon]
2) release 6.3.0(dev) [just after that]
3) open SVN [just after that]
4) load indented 6.3-cvs as 7.0-dev in SVN, encourage all new devel to happen
   in 7.0-dev [just after that]  [?? figure out in 'make mix' thread ??]

2c,
Hamish