[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.3.0 release preparation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Aug 12 13:47:33 EDT 2007

On 8/12/07 9:50 AM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> While we're on the subject of default preferences, I'd like to request that
>> 'overlay' be the default for d.rast. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I nearly
>> always want a raster to be able to overlay another so that the bottom one
>> will show through the nulls of the top one--unless I want to set the nulls
>> to some specific background color.
>
> AFAICT, the -o switch is an artifact of 4.x lacking a distinct null
> value.

So is my suggestion doable? Maybe leave in -o for backward compatibility but
have it do nothing, since this would be default behavior anyway. A script
that depended on having nulls opaque (white) by leaving out the -flag and
not setting a color probably would not be seriously harmed by this, though
any underlying map might show through.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity