[GRASS-dev] r.series threshold patch

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Aug 16 14:59:22 EDT 2007

Markus Neteler wrote:

> to easier operate on incomplete time series from MODIS (and
> others), we would like to suggest attached patch. It
> adds a threshold to filter out incomplete pixel series
> before calling the aggregation function which saves us
> to perform extra runs on counting valid pixels and to
> post-filter the aggregated results.

While I don't doubt that this is a useful optimisation for your
particular case, I'm generally opposed to adding such optimisations
for specific cases.

A more general optimisation would be to extend the method= and output=
options to accept multiple values, so that you can compute multiple
aggregates in a single run. You would still need to combine the two
outputs with e.g. r.mapcalc, but you would only need one run of
r.series.