[GRASS-dev] BLAS/LAPACK (Part II)

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 17 01:12:54 EDT 2007

Brad Douglas wrote:

> I did not hear any response to my question of whether to continue
> using BLAS/LAPACK.
>
> This uncertainty has been particularly hard on me, being unable to
> complete some work waiting for an answer one way or the other and not
> wanting to implement my own version if not needed.
>
> Currently, there is no code in the tree that makes use of either
> library other than my own.  In fact, others have implemented their own
> versions.

If having it there is not hurting anything, I'd say leave it as-is.

It is less work to maintain the configure scripts than it is to stay
current with the latest advancements in the library. ie 5 years from
now we'd have an unmaintained stale copy distributed with our source.

BLAS/LAPACK are in common use elsewhere, so it's not like a user would
have to spend time hunting down and compiling obscure software to use
it.

Take pride in being the first to use it, we've been waiting a while for
someone to. :)

> What I propose is moving the matrix code from v.generalize (in
> particular, matrix_inverse() ) to lib/gmath and simplifying the
> existing MATRIX structure.

regardless of BLAS/LAPACK staying or going, consolidation, consistency,
and anything else that makes the code easier to maintain is obviously a
good thing. (but no idea about that specific code)

Hamish