[GRASS-dev] Re: v.generalize and interpolation, dmax problem

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Aug 20 16:46:48 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 12:58 -0700, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> On Sunday 19 August 2007 18:22, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> > Profiles that you may get from real time kinematic survey or single
> > beam sonar
> > have similar problem as contours with points being much denser along
> > the profile compared
> > to the distance between profiles, but they would require
> > generalization in vertical plane rather
> > than the horizontal plane.
>
> This might not be the best place to start a thread on this... However, I will
> be working on some RTK-based DEM creation stuff, and was about to ask the
> list for some pointers on planning out the survey.

Dylan,

you can write me directly - we have done quite a bit of work on the
design of RTKGPS surveys (and while looking for a paper for you to look
at I realized that probably the most interesting part of it we have
never published - apparently we should do it). The survey design matters
a lot - we have sampled high resolution lidar-based DEM with various
combinations of profiles to find out the best combination - I can write
you more or find the relevant presentation if you are interested,
here are some papers with related info:
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/publwork/papers/Freeman03.pdf
http://www.geodynamicsgroup.com/jockeysridge.html
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/gmslab/papers/reveeg20.pdf