[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] GRASS6.3 on Windows

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 18:27:05 EDT 2007

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 04:48:39 +0100, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> A catch only helps if you do something useful once you've caught the
> exception.
>
> If the caller is relying upon the procedure to return information, and
> the inability to execute the program means that the information cannot
> be obtained, then there isn't any practical alternative to allow the
> exception to propagate up to the caller.
>
> Sometimes it may be worthwhile catching an exception just so that you
> can re-throw the exception with additional data. But in the case of
> exec failing, the specific error (e.g. "unable to load shared library
> libfoo.so") needs to be retained.

Yes sorry I wasn't clear = I meant keeping the stderr output as well as catching the error, and then something along the lines of displaying it in a pop-up dialog to the user - if the program just failed then a pop-up dialog would say that but if there was also an informational error message it would be displayed in the pop-up and could be a valuable hint as to the source of the problem. I did a bit of that in the recent changes I made to the way g.proj was run in the background when creating a new location during the gis_set.tcl startup - that's where the idea was coming from.