[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] GRASS6.3 on Windows

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Aug 25 01:45:28 EDT 2007

On 8/24/07 2:59 AM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> Anything else GUI-wise broken and fixable that anyone has noticed?
>

> Before 6.3.0 is released I'd like to finish off this wish:
>
> Lat/Lon locations should format the Map Display statusbar x,y string into
> 45°59.9999'S  170°59.9999'W, not as decimal -45.999999  170.999999.
>
>   http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=401
>
> (I had previously committed code to reformat non-lat/lon coord text to a
> steady
> '%.3f'; I just left lat/lon as '%.6f' or so but feel that's unfinished)
>
> I have an idea or two how to do this slightly more efficiently than the
> suggested code in the wish report (ie a few less lines in the mouse movement
> update loop), but maybe the CPU overhead per mouse movement isn't as bad as I
> expect and I'm stuck in a 4MHz 8086 mentality.
>
> Feel free to have a stab at it if you like; I filed it as a wish as I was
> having trouble finding the time to implement it, but didn't want it abandoned.
> By the same token, I'd like it to be in 6.3.0 as that may be the last chance
> for new TclTk features to be widely used.
>

> There remains an unanswered question if "\xB0" produces a degree symbol on all
> platforms.

This is one reason I haven't pursued this. The other is that for many GIS
uses, decimal degrees are easier to work with than degrees minutes
seconds--even though the latter might look nicer.

> test:
> $ echo puts "90\xB0" | wish

I tried this and it didn't work. Nothing printed in the wish screen. But it
may be the test rather than the \xB0 code. Also need to try on Windows.

Michael

> Hamish

> ______
> Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect.  Join Yahoo!'s user panel
> and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University