[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] i.pr: screen does not show map

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 19:19:00 EST 2007

Markus Neteler wrote:
> I have added a funny machine translation to English
> of the usage.tex file into
>
> grassaddons/i.pr/doc/usage_EN.txt
>
> this could be the start for a description.html file...

more ideas on that for all modules' description.html, using a mutli-frame html
approach:
  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Updating_GRASS_Documentation#Translations

"Idea: use an online translator such as AltaVista's Babelfish service or Google
Translate.

    The top part of the page (generated by `g.module --html-description`) is
translated by the $LANG variable and <grass/glocale.h>, so we should not be
attempting to automatically translate the option and modules names. The idea
for a two part translation is to make a modified version of tools/mkhtml.sh
which (if ./config'd --with-nls) loops through major languages and creates html
pages like $GISBASE/docs/html/de/, $GISBASE/docs/html/es/,... but instead of
just pasting the english description.html files to the bottom have it save
those as g.module_descr_en.html in a common dir.
    The translated help pages (generated with mkhtml_i18n.sh) would contain a
lower frame which calls an online translation of the g.module_descr_en.html
page from e.g. ibiblio.org/grass63/html_docs/en_descr/g.module_descr_en.html
with the appropriate "lp=en_de" setting in the bablefish URL.
     ?

example of live whole-page translations for GRASS 6.3 help pages:
 * Chinese- Simplified [AltaVista] - [Google]
 * ..."
[in the wiki]

Hamish