[GRASS-dev] improved suport for WMS in GDAL 1.5

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 18:56:10 EST 2007

Martin Landa wrote:
> BTW, it was not discussed here yet, I think it would be good to slowly
> move dev's stuff from Mediawiki to Tracwiki, see
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki
>
> E.g.
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/6.3.0RC3-News
>
> and
>
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_6.3_Feature_Plan
>
> User-related issues will be maintained using Mediawiki (which will be
> also migrated to OSGeo), dev's topics should be part Trac instance.

I think there are very important reasons to keep the user and devel wikis as
one. It stresses the coupling of the two: in GRASS the users are the
developers, and the developers are some of the heaviest users. The less of a
split we have between the two, the more likely we will be to have users become
developers.

So the fewer barriers between the two the better, aka constructing artificial
barriers is to be avoided.

Having said that, I can see the advantages of splitting them:

* User wiki should be using (osgeo hosted) MediaWiki not Trac's wiki. MediaWiki
has a much richer feature set, and is more suited for documentation. e.g. for
images.

* If the devl pages are using Trac's wiki it can tie in better with the bug
tracker and SVN code commit revision ID's.

Is the technical trac integration tools the main reason to use that? Examples
from another OSGeo project using this?
Is this useful enough to outweigh the (intangible) culture damage caused by
splitting up the wiki into two parts/logins/links?

regards,
Hamish