[GRASS-dev] [grass-code I][557] v.overlay: should not allow columnnames of length > 10 in dbf

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Wed Dec 12 11:02:30 EST 2007

>From: grass-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org on behalf of Maciej Sieczka
>
>Off-list we have narrowed the problem down. Summary:
>The cuplrit is a bug in v.overlay that it creates DBF tables
>with column names longer than 10.

>To reproduce please download the sample location [1], enter
>PERMANENT and do:
<snip>

Confirmed.

>The last one's name is longer than 10, thus any GRASS
>command will ignore it at input, leading to corrupted output
>table. It's v.overlay's fault that it created a bad table.
>
>Another thing: could/should GRASS commands handle DBF column
>names longer than 10 in DBF table for reading?

How is it possible to write a dbf column name longer than 10 characters?
Through postgres, maybe? I thought the column names were always truncated
at 10 chars.

Maybe it would be better to fix v.* modules to catch cases where an attempt
is made to write column names longer than 10 chars?

~ Eric.