[GRASS-dev] IRC over HTTP :: slow access to osgeo svn

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 15 18:16:44 EST 2007

Markus wrote:
> >> You can easily reach IRC with zero installation through this Web
> >> client:
> >>
> >> http://irc.telascience.org/cgi-bin/irc.cgi
> >> - select reasonable nick name
> >> - select #osgeo
> >>
> >> Then they can check immediately what's going on.

Eric:
> > A lot of irc protocols are blocked or forbidden behind corporate/
> > government firewalls for some of us (big brother is always
> > watching), so that isn't always an option.

Michael:
> I second that. Overall, my university is relatively decent on this
> (Skype, iChat, and other services are available). But IRC is blocked
> and I cannot use it from there.

the whole point of  http://irc.telascience.org/cgi-bin/irc.cgi  is that
you interface with the IRC channel over a web page, not using the IRC
protocol. Therefore if the IRC protocol/port is blocked by your service
provider you can still connect through the above webpage bypassing the
block. IRC's file transfer functions etc don't work over that AFAIK so
I think the web interface is not prone to the type of abuse that a non-
authoritarian IT dept would be worried about.

Now if the "forbidden" policy is written as the activity not as the
protocol/port, well then you take your chances of getting caught doing
something naughty.

Otherwise try it, as long as you can access web pages it'll probably
work.

Hamish