[GRASS-dev] [bug #5483] (grass) g.mremove through gis manager GUI seems not to work well

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 17:38:27 EST 2007

Aldo:
> > > Subject: g.mremove through gis manager GUI seems not to work well
> > >
> > > The command File > Manage maps and volumes > Remove maps using
> > > expressions and wildcards require an acknowledgment in the form:
> > >
> > > Collecting map names for current mapset <esercizi>....
> > > g.remove rast=geology.new,slope.new
> > > Did you mean this (y/n)?
> > >
> > > But it seems not to accept any kind of input (y,yes,n,no). It
> > > seems to wait for something else.

Markus:
> > up to now interactive input in tcl based dialogs is not possible.
> > Using the -f flag (force removal) you can delete also in gis.m.
> >
> > Probably we need to enforce -f somehow in gis.m - how to do that?

Glynn:
> I've committed a fix which removes the prompting code. The -f flag
> remains for compatibility but is ignored.

I understand the push to remove interactive, but this one is a fairly
important failsafe and I wouldn't mind it staying. With the -f flag a
non-interactive mode is available. An -i or --interactive flag as rm
uses could be added, but who would bother setting up an alias to use it?
Problably not the new users who would benefit from it the most.

To answer Markus's question, you can preset/hint an option's answer in
the GUI by giving it on the command line and adding the --ui switch to
force a GUI:

g.mremove -f --ui

I've backported a fix using this method to the 6.2 GUI menu.tcl:
 -command {execute "g.mremove -f --ui" }}

.. as for 6.3, ?

Hamish