[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] r.fillnulls in the latest cvs version doesn't work appropriately

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Feb 10 16:28:48 EST 2007

Martin Landa wrote:

> > > I hope I fixed this problem or I missed something? Now:
> > >
> > > g.region -m == g.region -gm (== g.region -pgm)
> >
> > Actually, I don't consider -gm => -gpm to be "correct"; what do you
> > use if you *only* want the resolution in metres, and not the region?
>
> My original idea was to make the -g flag more "universal". It means
> shell-style output used in combination with *other* print flags. This
> cased a lot of problems.
>
> AFAIK the -m flag is currently the same as the -mg (or now -mgp) flag
> combination. I think it is not the right solution, the -m flag should
> print *only* resolution as Glynn suggests.
>
> I suppose to start implementing Glynn's proposal from the scratch --
> the print parameter and to supersede the print flags, and in the
> future versions of GRASS remove them. What do you think about it?

For now, I suggest reverting the changes to the printing flags, and
thinking about a print= option instead. AFAICT, backwards
compatibility requires that the printing flags remain a mess.

One consequence is that you will need to duplicate printwindow.c.
Trying to make one version handle both the existing mess (which
essentially dictates that certain combinations of switches will print
various pieces of information in entirely different formats) and a
sane system will result in unmanageable complexity.