[GRASS-dev] [grass-code patches][280] Fix Help button in gis.m raster/vector display conf locks up gis.m

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 01:03:26 EST 2007

H:
> >> Starting browser <open> for module d.rast...
> >
> > lib/init/init.sh sets this:
> >
> >   elif [ "$HOSTTYPE" = "macintosh" -o "$HOSTTYPE" = "powermac" -o
> > "$HOSTTYPE" = "powerpc" ] ; then
> >       GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=open
> >

> > As for MacOSX you can do "open URL" from the command line to launch
> > safari.
> >
> > Apparently that forks itself into a background process, but that
> > behavior is specific to OSX's "open" command. If GRASS_HTML_BROWSER
> > is set to a regular program name, it probably won't background
> > itself.

sorry, the above is wrong. There is an override in scripts/g.manual:

#hack for MacOSX:
if [ "$HOSTTYPE" = "macintosh" ] ; then
    BROWSERNAME="default Macintosh web browser"

Michael Barton wrote:
> Right. But why is a message generated to tell me that I am starting a
> browser for module d.rast... This is what I intended to do, and a
> message to this effect sent to stderr seems redundant. I can see
> getting a message "Unable to open browser <open> for module
> d.rast...", but I don't see why one is necessary to tell the user
> that the program is indeed doing what it is supposed to do. (grumble
> grumble grumble). This is a message that I don't remember seeing
> before.

That message has been there since the first version. I guess it is like
websites opening a new browser window instead of exiting the current
page when you click on an external link (!@$@#%&*). Some sort of "not
my fault if this doesn't work" absolving legaleese I guess. Also the
new brower may take several seconds to load and the user may become
impatient and open it twice, esp. if it returns to the prompt.

1) send the message to stderr with `echo "" 1>&2`, where all good
shell script status messages should go.
2) "g.manual --quiet" makes it go away
2) restrict it to when "g.manual --verbose" is called
3) remove it (problem if GRASS_HTML_BROWSER is bad?)
4) do nothing

#1 and #2 are now done in 6.3-CVS.

Hamish