[GRASS-dev] Re: Profiler updates

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 03:26:21 EST 2007

Hi gis.m bug fighters, comments inline.

2007/2/13, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>:
> Hamish:
> > This is a bug in r.profile. Out of region values are not correct.
>
> fixed in 6.2 and 6.3 cvs.
>
> Now it exits with G_fatal_error() if a coordinate is outside of the
> current region. (exit code 1)
>
> gis.m still doesn't catch this, and dies with a "child process exited
> abnormally" error. But at least it no longer outputs garbage data.
This should be fixed before 6.3.

> > r.profile out-of-region should report a "NULL" result (to stdout) and
> > warning that the endpoint is out of region (G_warning() to stderr).
>
> up for discussion. harder to do.
IMHO we should better fix gis.m from working OUTSIDE region. I'm not
as good in tcl/tk to send patch, but just questions:
* would it be possible to resize drawable area to region in gis.m
display? (one way how to deal with user working outside of defined
region)
* or maybee we should add region boundary checking in measure/query
tools? Then only question is - what to do if user HAS clicked outside
region?

> Hamish

I care about gis.m cause IMHO till next stable release new GUI will
NOT be production ready and gis.m is really good, we should just make
it also user frendly and foolproof to provide excelent UI expierience.

Maris.