[GRASS-dev] GRASS - UDig projection definitions

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 05:02:43 EST 2007

Andrea Antonello wrote:

> this also means that there is no easy way (something like parse that
> and that and then create the WTK), the proj pack has to be there,
> right?

I am not sure I full understand, but to repeat what Markus said,

from within GRASS:

# print Well Known Text (WTK) style projection info for the current
# location:
g.proj -w

# create a new GRASS location using WKT:
g.proj -c location=newLocation wkt=- << EOF
PROJCS["UTM Zone 13, Northern Hemisphere",
    GEOGCS["clark66",
        DATUM["North_American_Datum_1927",
            SPHEROID["Clarke_1866",6378206.4,294.9786982]],
        PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
        UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433]],
    PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],
    PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],
    PARAMETER["central_meridian",-105],
    PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],
    PARAMETER["false_easting",500000],
    PARAMETER["false_northing",0],
    UNIT["meter",1]]
EOF

GRASS tends to use a style similar to PROJ4 instead of WKT internally,
but is happy to translate back and forth as best it can.

Hamish