[GRASS-dev] Re: winGRASS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Feb 13 07:44:06 EST 2007

On 13/02/07 13:16, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
>> Another similar problem: I have a German language WinXP installed on my
>> machine in which programs are installed at c:\Programme and not
>> "c:\Program Files".
>
> That's due to this line in lib/init/init.bat:
>
> if "%GRASS_HTML_BROWSER%"=="" set GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=%SYSTEMDRIVE%/PROGRA~1/INTERN~1/IEXPLORE.EXE
>
> It should probably be:
>
> if "%GRASS_HTML_BROWSER%"=="" set GRASS_HTML_BROWSER=%ProgramFiles%/INTERN~1/IEXPLORE.EXE
>
> %ProgramFiles% will be set to the system's "Program Files" directory
> (or whatever it is called on a particular system, e.g. "C:\Programme"
> on a German system).
>
> However, there are better solutions available on Windows, e.g.
>
> 	rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler <filename or URL>
>
> E.g.:
>
> 	rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler "c:\Cygwin\usr\local\grass-6.2.1\docs\html\grass6.html"
> or:
> 	rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler "http://grass.itc.it"
>
> This has the advantage of using the default application rather than
> hardcoding MSIE.

Actually IIUC, it's not only MSIE which is hardcoded, but also the fact
that "Program Files" and "Internet Explorer" are the (alphabetically
first directories) with their respective abbreviation, i.e. if someone
has something like c:\Programe Files\Internet Ace, this would be
Intern~1 and Internet Explorer would become Intern~2. Do I understand
this correctly ?

Would your solution translate to:

if "%GRASS_HTML_BROWSER%"=="" set GRASS_HTML_BROWSER="rundll32
url.dll,FileProtocolHandler"

or does this have to be handled outside the GRASS_HTML_BROWSER variable ?

Moritz