[GRASS-dev] Modules (was: Cygwin winGRASS 6.2 Errors! [SUCESS})

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Feb 15 15:50:08 EST 2007

Michael Barton wrote:

> If it's any help, I've already written pure TclTk replacements for
>     i.vpoints
>     i.points
>     d.profile
>
> Also, r.li.* looks to be replacing r.le.* soon.
>
> I'd like to replace d.histogram with wx.Python in the new GUI.
>
> Probably the i.orthophoto modules can be replace with GUI versions in the
> same way I did with the georectifier.

I'm sure it can be done; it's just likely to be a lot of work.

The main problem with the imagery stuff, AFAICT, is that it consists
largely of "GUI applications", using a mix of libraster and vask as
the UI toolkit. There are better toolkits available.

The same applies to v.digit, although it isn't as much of a
monstrosity as i.ortho.photo (OTOH, it's probably more critical).

Isn't there a FOSS vector drawing package (i.e. CorelDraw imitation)
or CAD package which can export to something which OGR can import? If
there is, I would expect that it would provide a better user
experience than something which we can put together with our rather
limited manpower.