[GRASS-dev] Modules

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Sun Feb 18 22:27:50 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 01:59 +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> > > However, that version (2.1.0.0) still isn't available under the GPL
> > > yet (the most recent GPL version is 2.0.5.0).
> > >
> > > But the lack of polyline support in the GPL version is probably fatal
> > > in terms of using QCad as a v.digit replacement.
> >
> > Getting back to your previous "not enough manpower for v.digit"
> > argument, please note that there is already a nice v.digit replacement
> > in QGIS 0.8:
> >
> > 1. it does all that v.digit does + more
> > 2. is actively maintained (!), mainly by Radim Blazek
> > 3. QGIS treats GRASS vectors as any other OGR ones - let's you query,
> > do thematic mapping, browse attribute table, measure area/distance,
> > reproject on-the-fly and stuff
> > 4. QGIS 0.8 is based on Open Source QT 4
> > 5. works natively on Windows, Linux, Mac (more?)
>
> So why are we still maintaining v.digit?

Because QGIS is not part of GRASS?

Until all other modules that require interactivity (i.ortho.photo,
i.vpoints, i.cca, i.spectral and others come to mind) are "ported"
there's no reason to not support v.digit unless it's broken.

No matter how much you may not like it, there are parts of GRASS that
*require* interactive input.

FWIW, I think offloading to another package or removing imagery support
is shortsighted.  GRASS would become useless to me for the majority of
my work.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785