[GRASS-dev] Modules

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Tue Feb 20 13:02:57 EST 2007

Jáchym E`epický wrote:

> Idea of v.edit is to be a CLI backend for future v.digit.

Slight digression:

IMHO v.edit's potential is far beyond that. It is an excellent tool for
any purpose geometry manipulation, without having to know the GRASS
vector API and code in C. In some my scripts, which I wrote before
v.edit, I was missing the ability to easily script manipulating vector
features at arbitrary locations, which I used to workaround by
v.out.asci > awk & Co. > v.in.ascii. That was really cumbersome, for
me. Now v.edit seems to be a shoe-in for such operations - powerfull
and easy to use.

Your v.edit is a tool with great potential, Jachym, and I believe it
shouldn't be regarded as v.digit's replacement backend only. Really
Great job! Thanks for developing it.

Maciek