[GRASS-dev] Modules

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Tue Feb 20 14:36:08 EST 2007

Brad Douglas wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 19:12 +0100, Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>> Michael Barton wrote:
>>
>>> As I recently said to Glynn offlist, a third possibility
>>> that might be almost as desirable would be if someone in the OSGEO world
>>> decided to create a multi-platform, multi-format, dedicated digitizing
>>> package that could create and edit various OS GIS files.
>> This already takes place in QGIS, to a big extent - it can edit
>> shapefiles and GRASS vectors. It is multiplatform. It reads any
>> GDAL/OGR formats, so it's multi-format. Although it is not dedicated to
>> digitizing only, it's been constantly developed towards doing it well
>> and right.
>
> We understand that.  The issue is forcing people to use QGIS when they
> really don't need to.
>
> I would only support this if GRASS and QGIS were merged.

As you propably know, the merge is partially done, on the QGIS side. It
has the GRASS Plugin, which already provides many GRASS commands in a
modern GUI, and the QGIS's own shell for running GRASS commands from
CLI on any platform. This QGIS makes quite a complete (to be,  ;)  )
GRASS GUI + access to GRASS core functionality.

> Glynn also mentioned that in order to do what we want on Windows,
> one would have to purchase a QT license, which is not feasible, IMO.

This is not an issue in QT 4, which QGIS currently uses.

Maciek