[GRASS-dev] [bug #5499] (grass) bash scripts starting with #!/bin/sh

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at gmx.de
Tue Feb 20 20:31:44 EST 2007

Hi,

  > #1 seems the most correct. #2 seems the most practical, but dirty.
>
> Can we name any popular modern platform which doesn't keep bash in
> /bin/bash?

IBM AIX 5 in the basic installation environment has "only" a ksh.

I would like to see python or perl to be THE scripting language of
grass, because sh and even the bash have IMHO very limited capabilities
to create sophisticated and maintainable code.
In case i learn python one day (i only know some basics), i will rewrite
the grass test suite in python. The current bash based design is not
very good maintainable ... .

Soeren